There is a long history to the Tottenham District Charity. We are continuing work that began very many years ago.
The charity, (‘for relief in need’), in its present form, was formed in Victorian times. There were many charities in Tottenham set up by various wealthy philanthropists and aristocrats over the years, some dating back to the 16th Century, and these were amalgamated and put under the control of the Tottenham Urban District Council in 1896. This later became the Tottenham District Charity and its work is overseen by a Board of Trustees.
The grants and pensions that are awarded by the Tottenham District Charity are financed from the interest made on the Charity’s investments, which have been made possible by the sensible investment of donated money going back many generations. In effect, the Charity is now distributing donations made over the Centuries!